Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
LeaStang094
Guest Users: 17

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is clay-bar really worth it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary04GT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Is clay-bar really worth it? Reply with quote

After months thinking about giving my car the "clay treatment" I finally did it a couple days ago. 8O Anyway, I really didn't think I could get the shine much better than it already was but with all the "hype about clay" thought I had better give it a try. It really wasn't as bad as I had expected but I did the BIG "NO-NO" twice--dropped the clay on the garage floor!!! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Anyway, it's done--my Cruiser has been clayed! Smile Cool

Can any of you tell the difference from "before clay" and "after clay" from the two PICS below? One was taken last summer and the other was taken today (after clay bar treatment and application of Perfect Auto Finish Ultimate Paint Sealant).

PIC #1

PIC#2

So, is it PIC #1 OR #2 that has the clay-bar treatment? You decide. Wink I'll post the correct answer tomorrow evening. Razz Smile

PS: This is an unscientific poll, however, I was curious if
SuGamer (who clays his car at least monthly) can tell any real difference. Wink Rolling Eyes

SEE car PICS at: http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/galleries/ald11582/gallery1.htm

Last edited by Gary04GT on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary claybar is totally worth it.. I don't think it helps make the paint more shiny.. But it makes it smoother which in turn helps all the products you put on it work better. Then it gets more shiny.. Cool

Tip for next time Gary.. Cut the bar in pieces.. That way if you drop just leave it grab a new chunk..

Note to self, next time I detail, claybar.. Been over six months.. Embarassed

TurboCruiser13
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna go on a limb and say pic 2 is after claybar. Seems like there's more detail in the trees in the reflection on your roof, and the one tree right at the very front of your visor looks to have grown some in the last year up towards the top branches Wink
04 Black TE-S1, VAK kit, custom 2.5" exhaust w/no mufflers, 3"DP no cat w/cutout, HKS SSQ, dash mount gauges, 2K watts in audio, ADR 17's, Meth Injection, Turbonetics MBC @ 21 psi, AGP WGA, best 1/4-14.47 best trap-96.31
SuGamer
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is clay-bar really worth it? Reply with quote

Gary04GT wrote:

PS: This is an unscientific poll, however, I was curious if
SuGamer (who clays his car at least monthly) can tell any real difference. Wink Rolling Eyes

Of course I can Gary! Wink The first pic was the one you took today after claying, and the second pic was taken last year! Cool While claying won't make the paint's color deeper, it removes all surface contaminants, helping to bring out the shine more. The 2 pics were taken at different times of the day, however, or the weather was different both days since the bottom picture's background is darker than the first. Wink Cool

----> Bruiser, Junior, and J.B. <----
And the dynos rumbled and God spoke, "Take thy stage 1 upgrade, install it upon thy car, and pwn the many ricers!" And thus Junior Bruiser, son of Bruiser Junior, grandson of Bruiser, begat of the Chrysler and the Daimler, began his reign in the front wheel drive world. And God looked down upon him and saw he was all that. winking
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurboCruiser13 wrote:
I'm gonna go on a limb and say pic 2 is after claybar. Seems like there's more detail in the trees in the reflection on your roof,

Exactly the same thing I was thinking.

Vote #2 for pic #2

ptcb
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is #2 is the newest job with the clay. Gosh, not only does your car look great (as always), but you really are obsessive, arent you? I mean, the car's almost parked in the exact same location and pic is almost exact same angle, from a year past??? Then again, maybe that's why I'm having trouble telling which pic is the REAL clay.... laughing
Qman
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Can any of you tell the difference from "before clay" and "after clay" from the two PICS below?

Nope, but if I had to guess I would say pic #1. Wink

Later,
Qman...
turbomangt
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, just like several people here posted, you can't tell if the car has been clay from a picture. The other thing to note is the fact you keep you car in pristine condition. Which means you don't let many suface contaminants build up on the finish. It is still a prodecure you should include in a complete detail twice a year. Gary
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never "clayed" before my PT, but read of it on forums and gave it a try and am convinced.
I vote for pic # 2.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
snittykitty
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the difference the clay bar made directly after clay bar (and before any additional steps were taken) was one I could feel, not see. I couldn't see a difference in the finish of the paint but if I ran my hand over the paint the surface was completely smooth and there was no graininess to the surface at all (as there was before clay bar application.) It was enough to sell Mike on the clay bar's goodness. Which, now that I think about it, means I'll have to clay his car too.

Crap.

Are those the The TOS in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
"Snitty cracks a mean whip!!" ~bluegoose 10/12/07
Gary04GT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting reponses so far. Cool Wonder if I should extend the "deadline" for posting in order to give more people the opportunity to look closely at the two PICS and post their "vote"? Confused

SEE car PICS at: http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/galleries/ald11582/gallery1.htm
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snittykitty wrote:
In my experience, the difference the clay bar made directly after clay bar (and before any additional steps were taken) was one I could feel, not see. I couldn't see a difference in the finish of the paint but if I ran my hand over the paint the surface was completely smooth and there was no graininess to the surface at all (as there was before clay bar application.) It was enough to sell Mike on the clay bar's goodness. Which, now that I think about it, means I'll have to clay his car too.

Crap.

Yes and no. Feel was there, but swirls, tar, etc., also were gone, and I guess that'd translate to a better shine...
ptcb
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary04GT wrote:
Some interesting reponses so far. Cool Wonder if I should extend the "deadline" for posting in order to give more people the opportunity to look closely at the two PICS and post their "vote"? Confused

Yeah, you may as well wait until Friday evening. Especially since some people may not have come back to the site since its new status of non-interruptus is almost completed. anyway, it's a great thread! Cool
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from the photos. 8O

I'm really going to go out on a limb, here.
I'll say, "Paint contamination, bad. Clay bar, good". Razz
TomsCruise
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have clayed my car and my wife's car. Both PT's! Judging only from the pics I would say 2 but I will vote 1 because most everyone else said 2. By the way after claying my wife's PT and using Gary's wonderful stuff we went to church. My wife gets out and puts her latte on the roof to get stuff out of the car and you know what happened. The latte slid off the roof and onto her lap. Sucked the Christian right out of her. laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: