User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 21

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glass cleaning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Glass cleaning Reply with quote

I have always tried to keep the glass as clean as possible since the car was new. Regular washing, using glass cleaner, clay bar and RainX. But water spots and grime seem almost impossible to remove... The water spots on my cars glass aren't really that bad but I knew the glass could be cleaner.

I picked up some glass polishing pads to use with the d/a buffer and some water spot remover for glass. The pads I got are made by Griot's Garage and the water spot remover is made by Mothers.
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06712.html
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/6+inch+glass+polish+pads.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=2

I started by doing a quick cleaning with regular glass cleaner to get any loose dirt and whatnot off the glass. I taped off the moldings/paint around the glass to protect them from the pad and cleaner. Then I applied the water spot remover using the 6" pad and the d/a on speed 2 and light pressure. Basically the weight of the tool is enough as the spot remover is more of a chemical action then a mechanical action. I did the windshield in 4 sections to keep the work area manageable. I worked the spot remover much like you would when doing paint correction and did two total passes. Wiping it off with a microfiber towel and then a good cleaning with glass cleaner and a glass microfiber. I then finished with an application of RainX. Much like paint correction the glass is super slick and smooth now. While this won't remove scratches or sandblasting the glass is more clean/clear now.
I spent about 30 minutes on the windshield and about 20 minutes on the back window, I didn't do any of the side glass, that will be for another day.
Now for some pictures:

windshield before:

windshield after, not 100% removal of spots but much better:

back window before:

back window after, not 100% removal of spots but much better:

1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick I use to really get the windows clean and to polish out some of the micro pitting is to clean the glass really well with Stoner glass cleaner, then tape off and liberally apply Brasso brass polish to the buffing bonnet and go at it. Then I clean the glass again with more Stoner, then an application of Rain-X. That keeps my windows pretty much spotless for 3 months. Get rid of the fine pitting and driving against the sun isn't even so much an issue. It's like there's no glass in the frame at all.
2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-Rebuilt engine, S1 PCM, S2 WGA, modified TD04, NeedsWings 3" O2, Cat D.P., Hard Pipes, Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, S2 Coilovers, G.C. Camber Plates, Mopar F/R sways, K&N Filters. New systems: clutch, power steering, suspension, ext. lighting, cooling, braking w/Centric StopTech D/S Rotors & Hawk HPS F/R, Upper/Lower Deyeme Torque Struts Firm, DCR Clutch Pedal Rod, Gates Blue Racing Belts (3), SRP Racing Pedals, Nitto Motivo tires.
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... clay bar.

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look into the Brasso... I have to clean the glass on the wife's Suburban!
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcktpwrd wrote:
I'll look into the Brasso... I have to clean the glass on the wife's Suburban!

That's about an acre! Razz

I claybar and put polish on my windsield.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use powdered rice hulls. The water spots breakdown on contact and it polishes the glass. No masking or worry about harming other finishes just rinse off with water and dry.
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiquidPT wrote:
Also... clay bar.

I clean my windshield with just clay bar and some rain-x.

PTcrewner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroPT wrote:
I use powdered rice hulls. The water spots breakdown on contact and it polishes the glass. No masking or worry about harming other finishes just rinse off with water and dry.

When we first drove home buying our PT 2 years ago the usual glass stains from water were all over the glass. After using the powdered rice hulls you can not find any stain on the glass. The nice thing is it was a one time cleaning and the upkeep is simple car washing and glass cleaner.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
dondacy
PTcrewbie
PTcrewbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So may I ask where you got or purchased the powdered rice hulls Sir.
soonercruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that just a regular (every other month) application of RainX keeps the water spots off.
And, after washing, I always drive to the car wash close by and rinse with "Spotless Rinse" cycle.
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dondacy wrote:

The Philippines Cool

The next time you stop buy I will give you enough to do your PT.

soonercruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroPT wrote:
dondacy wrote:

The Philippines Cool

Next time he stops by the Philippines?????
Shocked
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soonercruiser wrote:
NitroPT wrote:
dondacy wrote:

The Philippines Cool

Next time he stops by the Philippines?????
Shocked

Don lives a short distance from me.

I have it shipped to me from the Philippines.

mjb457
PTcrewbie
PTcrewbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Windshild Reply with quote

Ok we don't have rice balls here in PA-- I would like to bright my windshield back to new or as close as possible---how with normal available stuff here in the USA?
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshild Reply with quote

mjb457 wrote:
Ok we don't have rice balls here in PA-- I would like to bright my windshield back to new or as close as possible---how with normal available stuff here in the USA?

I have had good results using a clay bar.
After totally clean, I aply wax to the windshield - bugs come off easier...

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: