User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 21

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning advise wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
apexanimal
PTfuckencyco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Cleaning advise wanted Reply with quote

not on the cruiser, but...

how do you all clean the steering wheel? it's getting gross, and i want to clean it thoroughly without getting it greasy or damaging the wheel itself... ideas, tips, products?

also... the seatbelt is gross to... how the hell am i supposed to clean that?

DO RESEARCH!!!

https://www.facebook.com/RobertsonRacingMiata/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather wheel? I use leather cleaner (without dressing), then maybe give a light wipe of dressing afterwards. Maybe.

Good cleaning tips on Autogeek.net and the Detailing for Dummies Facebook group.

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by light on the leather dressing, I spray on the cloth wipe wheel, wait a few to absorb then follow with a dry one to take off the extra. Seems to work well.

I get traces of make up on mine cause it transfers even after hand washing, so the cleaner maybe two passes with it followed by dressing as lightly as will get the job done.

Seatbelts, I would seek advice of the forums, since I would go APC cleaner on a cloth, and scrub. But they probably have advice better since color bleed and it wouldn't want to weaken the weave.

If they are really gross, replacements are not hard to install. winking

TurboTeaBagger
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use that wipe in a plastic jar, by arorm all ,
like a baby wipe almost but with cleaners on it, or portectant,
for the steering wheel i use the cleaner,

then leather protector

2006 pteazer turbo Vert, Drilled and sloted rotors, 18 magniesium rims Progress f/r sways & springs ,rear disc conversion, stage 1 axels, soon to come stage 1 pcm, trinity, areomotive a/f and egt, dual exhaust
apexanimal
PTfuckencyco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt honda put leather on the steering wheel since they cut cost corners everywhere else...
DO RESEARCH!!!

https://www.facebook.com/RobertsonRacingMiata/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use saddle soap on all the car leather including the steering wheels, followed by leather conditioner. Used properly, nothing gets slick or slippery, just supple.

The woven belt material is nylon, so you'll want to treat is as you would clothing containing nylon. Diluted laundry detergent does a perfect job combined with a soft toothbrush (we've used it to clean baby vomit, and melted chocolate off the belts), and (believe it or not) baby wipes! Those things are perfect for cleaning up most anything inside the car except for glass and the dash.

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-This bitch is getting built! More to come.
2005 PT Touring Edition Convertible Turbo-Mostly stock. Immediate upgrades: Coilovers, S1 PCM, , NeedsWing O2 Housing and Catted DP, Magnaflow Exhaust.
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apexanimal wrote:
i doubt honda put leather on the steering wheel since they cut cost corners everywhere else...

Ya, you didn't specify what the vehicle was... winking

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Busted_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome..... Mix according to instructions. Best all around cleaner I have used. Best part it's cheap. Don't see that everyday. I add a little liquied softner to give it a plesent smell. Dosent hurt the performance. Won't harm finishes or glass. In your case squirt some on, that has been premixed. Take a soft wet brush and scrub. Wipe dry. If leather rub with leather softner and protectant. If other Armourall or other protectant. Cool
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My snake oils for cleaning a steering wheel the first time.

Hydrogen peroxide on a rag. This will lift the "human residue.

Then simple green for the petroleum products from not washing after working on car parts.

Last any vinyl or leather treatment.

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: