User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 28

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting Aluminum wheels
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all probably correct - unprotected aluminum would turn white pretty fast if not clearcoated.
I've only dealt with chromed or painted aluminum wheels.
Thanks.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:

I use GIBBs on freshly polished small parts like the Turbo Housing I just did. It does do a pretty good job. So well that if you go to paint anything after it has been applied if you do not use acetone and wash well the paint fish eyes.

I have never tried it on large objects like wheels. I may have to try that?

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:

That's specifically why I recommended Gibbs Brand. It was developed to restore and protect raw aluminum and magnesium parts. Whether the parts are plated, polished, cleared, or raw, the Gibbs does wonders at protecting against the elements. I had outstanding results on my chromed OEMs. I had asked about powdercoating clear or any of the available clears out there, but 2Step and RallyD changed my mind.

I'm glad they did.

Regards!

Just ordered some Gibbs - only gripe I have was that shipping was nearly as much as the product!

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
Just ordered some Gibbs - only gripe I have was that shipping was nearly as much as the product!

That's why I buy mine like this!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-Rebuilt engine, S1 PCM, S2 WGA, modified TD04, NeedsWings 3" O2, Cat D.P., Hard Pipes, Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, S2 Coilovers, G.C. Camber Plates, Mopar F/R sways, K&N Filters. New systems: clutch, power steering, suspension, ext. lighting, cooling, braking w/Centric StopTech D/S Rotors & Hawk HPS F/R, Upper/Lower Deyeme Torque Struts Firm, DCR Clutch Pedal Rod, Gates Blue Racing Belts (3), SRP Racing Pedals, Nitto Motivo tires.
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:
QuicksilverDon wrote:

That's why I buy mine like this!

Too late now.... Sad

2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:
Bosch wrote:
I was just seeing everyone talking about chrome and not aluminum I thought I would hit the brakes on the thread.

I didn't see a specific spot where Don said they were coated so I went on the side that were not coated to get the response more to what I thought he needed.

Clear powder coat? Sweet stuff right there.. I would so use a flat coat on a set of dark grey wheels..

/thread jack..

That's specifically why I recommended Gibbs Brand. It was developed to restore and protect raw aluminum and magnesium parts. Whether the parts are plated, polished, cleared, or raw, the Gibbs does wonders at protecting against the elements. I had outstanding results on my chromed OEMs. I had asked about powdercoating clear or any of the available clears out there, but 2Step and RallyD changed my mind.

I'm glad they did.

Regards!
A big X2 on the Gibbs Brand. We refer to the stock wheels as "chrome" but they are not chromed steel, they are aluminum that happens to be chromed. The Gibbs Brand is not a clear coating like paint or powdercoat. It is a penetrating dressing that prevents or retards oxidation, especially on alloys, chromed or not. So it will never peel or blister but it can be re-applied as part of routine cleaning and maintenance. It doesn't flake or peel so nothing can get under it like paint or powdercoat.

You can use it on new wheels to keep them looking new. Or you can use it on used wheels that are showing a bit of exposure to the elements to stop any further damage. I bet it will even wick into the open areas of failed clearcoat to prevent or slow the progress of the failure.

Use whatever you want. I know what I'm going to be using. winking

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I totally forgot what I have planned for my wheels.

Plastic-dip.... change the color and it protective...

GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:

Another good one, in my opinion.

It's easy to remove and redo when needed, and one can custom mix the colors or change them on a whim. Jo, thanks for jogging my memory on PD. Now I have ideas brewing in my melon for the other GT we're getting. That has SRT wheels, and I think they'd look great in the Anthracite gray metallic finish.

Just scheduled my second mod for the new car! Early April. First one is a Maddog STS with a Gemstone Shift Knob from 2Step.

Regards!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-Rebuilt engine, S1 PCM, S2 WGA, modified TD04, NeedsWings 3" O2, Cat D.P., Hard Pipes, Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, S2 Coilovers, G.C. Camber Plates, Mopar F/R sways, K&N Filters. New systems: clutch, power steering, suspension, ext. lighting, cooling, braking w/Centric StopTech D/S Rotors & Hawk HPS F/R, Upper/Lower Deyeme Torque Struts Firm, DCR Clutch Pedal Rod, Gates Blue Racing Belts (3), SRP Racing Pedals, Nitto Motivo tires.
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:
Just scheduled my second mod for the new car! Early April. First one is a Maddog STS with a Gemstone Shift Knob from 2Step.
I'm thinkin' I should custom make you a shift knob out of a snow shovel handle. It should feel right at home in your hand. Evil or Very Mad
Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2step wrote:
I'm thinkin' I should custom make you a shift knob out of a snow shovel handle. It should feel right at home in your hand. Evil or Very Mad

LOL... smart ass!

All-in-all, I rarely touch a shovel for snow removal. I live in a neighborhood with an Association. It's technically a townhouse community, but they're all detached single family multi-story units. Even if I did have to shovel the drive... it's more of an apron being all of 8' long x 16' wide.

Besides that, the shift knob is for Melissa's car.

Ok... so make it a snow shovel handle grip. She does shovel the front walk.

Regards!

Jeebis H! Sorry for the threadjack, Don. We're done on my off-topic. You'll really like the Gibbs. Might I suggest the first time you use it, make sure your wheels are cleaned enough to get the grime and brake dust off (spraying the dust means it won't oxidize is all). Spray on the Gibbs and let it soak for a couple of days, then wipe it off. Repeat several times over the next couple of seasons and you're set to just leave them alone for the next 6 months. You'll see water, dirt, grime slide right off like Rain-X does with water on glass.

QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good-
I'm rubbing a sore palm where handle of ice-chipper set so I appreciated 2-steps idea of a snow shovel handle shift knob.

Thanks for the Gibbs tips - it's on the way, as are the wheels (I hope).

Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT Bruiser wrote:
Bosch wrote:

Another good one, in my opinion.

It's easy to remove and redo when needed, and one can custom mix the colors or change them on a whim. Jo, thanks for jogging my memory on PD. Now I have ideas brewing in my melon for the other GT we're getting. That has SRT wheels, and I think they'd look great in the Anthracite gray metallic finish.

Regards!

Exactly a nice dark grey will be happening to the wheels on my GT, have the rattle cans sitting here waiting. To damn cold here, still not your witches tit cold you guys are getting but still to cold for paint.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: