User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 18

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clearcoating Chrome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Clearcoating Chrome Reply with quote

I bought the OEM chrome wheels from deejay lj one in the Have/Have Nots section.

Knowing fully well how completely crappy the chrome longevity and quality is on these alloy wheels, I wanted to give them some type of protection beyond regular washes and no winter driving.

I found POR 15 makes a product for polished finishes (including chrome) called Glisten PC. Has anyone here in the forums ever tried or used it? If yes, any advice to offer?

I'm planning to use a HVLP gun to apply it in the spring. After a 4 day curing time, it can be treated like any other paint or clear... wet-sanding, color sanding, and polishing.

Thanks!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-This bitch is getting built!
2005 PT Touring Edition Convertible Turbo-Mostly stock. S1 PCM, maybe more.
2016 Nissan Juke Nismo RS-All stock and staying that way.
RallyD
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's new to me.
Hopefully it doesn't yellow over time.

Most of the corrosion happens from the inside out. Perhaps filling with nitrogen and coating the inside would be a benefit.

Perhaps a valve stem like this one if it will work to prevent leaks there.

Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RallyD wrote:
Wow! That's new to me.
Hopefully it doesn't yellow over time.

Most of the corrosion happens from the inside out. Perhaps filling with nitrogen and coating the inside would be a benefit.

Perhaps a valve stem like this one if it will work to prevent leaks there.
Yes, I am planning to clear the insides of the rim first, let them cure, then do the front & cure, then back & cure. The information states that it will not yellow if properly prepped ahead of time. The clear is also UV resistant, but against chrome who can say how long it will last before breaking down. Might still be better in the long run as I can always strip the clear and redo it when needed, and would still be cheaper than buying new OEM rims (I'm so sold on the look... it's just me). Yes too on the better valve stems and nitrogen fill. I hadn't even considered the nitrogen, but once I read it in your reply, I slapped myself for forgetting.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

Regards!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically an epoxy, clear coat, paint.
http://www.por15.com/GLISTEN-PC/productinfo/GPCGG/
I would guess that the better your prep, the better it works. Personally I would use clear powdercoat before I use that stuff. (Since powdercoat uses heat I suggest you ask your powdercoater to cycle the wheels through a little heat up to take care of any moisture before final powdercoating.)

I've used this stuff* for years as a dressing on my wheels with good results....
http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
In fact, I've banished WD-40 and any other silicone product from my garage because the Gibbs doesn't have the contamination problems that silicone does.
*I live in Texas where we don't put nasty chemicals on our roads. Your results may differ. Smile

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
RallyD
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbs is the shit!

I need to remind myself to buy it by the case next time because i'm always out when I actually have time to work on my own stuff.
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, guys. I decided to try the clear powder coating, and found a small professional shop that specializes in doing work for consumers instead of manufacturing businesses. $80 p/wheel and a flat $100 to clean and prep the chrome on all 4 wheels for the process. He guarantees his work on chrome plating for 1 year, and that includes all seasons and our serious Minnesota winter salt brine (makes the asphalt look whiter than concrete). It's worth the money, in my opinion, to keep these new wheels looking new... and they do look like new.

Regards!

QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.
I love the look of chrome, but I gotta say the silver painted alloys are way less hassle and hold up way better.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
Good luck.
I love the look of chrome, but I gotta say the silver painted alloys are way less hassle and hold up way better.
Oh hell yea... I agree with you on that one. There's just something about that chrome OEM wheel that seems like the perfect fit on my E Blue GT. I have little exterior chrome whatsoever... just the door handles and insignia, otherwise it's fairly bare. The silver painted ghost flames also pop to life with that chrome, so that's why I'm sticking to the chrome look. To me, less is more, subtle touches beat out flash... though I admit I am thrilled to add some chrome touches to the interior thanks to CaptainJim's goodies. Now my wife is beating me up about the interior needing to be replaced with Katzkins. As long as I stay out of her way and let her think it's her idea, I'll get what I want.

For RallyD and 2Step: I got online and read as much as I could find about Gibb's. It's a lot easier on the wallet, and I can use the saved money for other wants. After reading about it, I spoke with my gunsmith father and he raves about the stuff. He's a picky bastard, so if he loves it, it must be good. Buying a few cans today, if for nothing more than cleaning up the engine bay aluminum. Also, when I reconsider my use of the new wheels, they'll only be driven during good weather, so heavy environmental protection may be simple overkill.

Great advice here, and glad I asked the questions.

Regards!

deejay lj one
PTcrewbie
PTcrewbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am super happy you are taking such good care of the new wheels. The PTGT was given too me by my pops before he passed away. Those wheels have great karama!!!! Glad your stoked on them!!! Glad you will take care of them. HARD to find that clean Smile
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I want to keep these in the same shape I received them. Factory original (in appearance) is what I'm working toward. All else can be easily swapped out and back to OEM at any time and with very little effort.
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprayed some Gibbs on the new wheels this past Saturday. Wiped it off today. Though they looked like new before the Gibbs, they sure as hell could pass for show chrome now.

This stuff works, and I mean really works. The wheels not just look shinier and cleaner, they also appear newly minted. There isn't one iota of oxidation on them. I also applied the Gibbs to the inside. I figured if I applied some there, and the Gibbs microscopically penetrates the metal as described, then it ought to be a great deterrent for future air leaks, and also keep the metal clean and free of oxidation leading to leaks.

Can't wait to hit the engine block and trans housing with this stuff!

Regards!

PTGT_Neon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibb's is awesome stuff. It's also a solvent. It'll eat sway at rubber stuffs like gaskets and hoses. Althouth it'll probably be ok a few times, I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Also, aluminum foil does a fine job of scraping chrome clean without leaving abrassive scratches.

Another thing to do with the chrome wheels is to use a big wire brush on a drill and eat off all the chrome where the tire meets the wheel. Then paint away on it.

Or get some refinished painted Empire wheels for $160 each. My Cruiser looks so much better with those wheels now.

There. Now that's cleared up . .
SCT Pro Racer, AGP FMIC, Deyeme motor mounts, Diablo, gasket matching, NGK plugs, MSD wires, air box mod, Wilwood brakes, Optima Red Top, Snow Performance Meth, DashDAQ, a ye old boost gauge, 3.17 final drive ratio, E1 turbo, Pats converter, and a Peloquin LSD.
http://www.efficient-mileage.com/
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTGT_Neon wrote:
Gibb's is awesome stuff. It's also a solvent. It'll eat sway at rubber stuffs like gaskets and hoses. Althouth it'll probably be ok a few times, I wouldn't make a habit of it.
From their website: Gibbs© can be used on any type of metal, wood, glass, leather, rubber and most plastics...

Says to apply to drive belts and other rubber based items. Maybe the formula changed since you last used it?

Regards!

PTGT_Neon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe I was wrong? It smells like a solvent, acts like a solvent . . I have no idea why I thought it was a solvent.

There. Now that's cleared up . .
SCT Pro Racer, AGP FMIC, Deyeme motor mounts, Diablo, gasket matching, NGK plugs, MSD wires, air box mod, Wilwood brakes, Optima Red Top, Snow Performance Meth, DashDAQ, a ye old boost gauge, 3.17 final drive ratio, E1 turbo, Pats converter, and a Peloquin LSD.
http://www.efficient-mileage.com/
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nice thing about it, it doesn't blind oncoming drivers either. Wink
Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: