User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 16

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

detailing the van
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: detailing the van Reply with quote

i washed the beast yesterday while the sun was up (kinda) got chewed up pretty good by bugs (at least 8 on my legs). today i figured i would do half the hood to take some before and after pics.

clayed first and it felt like sandpaper and i have never had clay come off this dirty, its not black but there was very noticeable stuff removed. used my da with meguiars ultimate compound and worked it a ton, then did it some more. finished it up with some tech wax 2.0 and it looks amazing buuuuuuuutttttt it took me 2 1/2 hrs for half the hood and i couldnt get any decent pics to show the difference between the 2 sides no matter how hard i tried. i might see if i can show the difference with my utility lights or just hope the sun is out tomorrow and see if that works since it was really overcast today.

know i know that getting the whole van done is going to be a long process but at least ill now have half a hood that comes clean and dries easier.

oh and for awhile i didnt need any music while i was working on it a neighbor kept driving his challenger r/t around the block, yeah i gave him a thumbs up hehe.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some pics in the sun

not done

done

i want to finish the hood but my shoulders hurt, wren slept like crap last night and the kids are totally nuts today, so we will see if it gets done.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other half done just taking a break while the wax sets , then its clean up time and I'm done for the day, my hands hate me.
dewey68
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel! The wife has an 05 white F150. It was covered in little rust spots from rail dust. It took me over a week to get it done. The van is looking better already! Hang in there with it.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah when i was working on the lumina it was white and had the little rust spots, never did get it totally finished before we sold it but it was still in way better shape than all the other ones we see around.
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great so far!

That metallic black is sharp! Cool

1990 Chevy 454SS
Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey their Pezzy,

Looking good so far, and never worry bout time when it comes to buffing.

That 56 F100 I did here a while back took my a little under 140 hours alone to perfect working panel by panel till their were zero defects.

Still hasn't yet beat my all time record for longest Detail on a beautiful former Riddler Award contender which took me 27 days to complete but that was frame up. Though I have a new 56 Caddy one off custom wagon that just got back from having a one off custom paint job by Pete Santini which I expect will take a good while to polish to perfection but she will be nice once done for sure.

Just on a side note, I know Meguiar's makes some great stuff and are able to pull off some amazing results, but have you ever played around with Chemical Guys at all? If you ever have an opportunity, I have been pretty impressed with their stuff to the extent I use it on a lot of my higher end hot rods and so forth cause of the ultra high gloss and depth they provide.

If you ever want to play with the stuff, I am using V36, Blacklight for glaze, and Wet Mirror Finish to get my paint to look about as clear as anything I have ever used. Everything works well with either a rotary, or flex or PC and has so far for me at least impressed both me and my Customers which is saying something.

Not an endorsement, but rather just info on some stuff to try from one Detailer to another.

Anywayz, keep up the good work.

Please Like me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pretty much stay with meguiars since i have a decent selection of polishes and waxes of theirs currently on hand and im just using what i have. if i can somehow come up with some money to spent on detailing supplies i need to buy some new pads, towels, and some other stuff but i dont know when that will be.

it will be slow going getting the van done since no matter how many times tim says he doesnt mind me being out there working on it and hes fine with watching the kids, i feel like crap doing it since i get to listen to him complain nonstop afterwards. i think ill try and work on it at night when the kids are in bed and hes playing borderlands2 but then i wont be able to hear if anyone wakes up =/.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics after i finished up the hood yesterday. i took them with my phone didnt want to grab my other camera heh

yes theres some dust on it already =/

rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got a great shine! Cool Very Happy
1990 Chevy 454SS
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess the van wasnt clean enough for mason, he wanted us to take it through the drive through car wash hehe.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got the license plate today, i think we need a personalized plate just dont know what to get.

tim commented today that the van looks kinda wrong in the sun now since the hood is all shiney and you can see the bad swirls all over the fenders and everywhere else.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the front quarter panels and the front bumper today. i took before pics and man is it hard to get pics of the swirls on this paint but they are everywhere. busted out my utility light to try and get some better pics and one of the lights was burned out =(.

yes yes thats toys in the reflection that have been removed for various reasons, its toy time out i guess you could say =P

my after pics didnt come out to great ill have to try to get some better ones tomorrow since it was pretty dark in the garage, i took them with the utility light but it didnt help much.

now the front bumper i didnt take any before pics of but its was sad and is still sad =(

whoever owned it before didnt clean the bugs off and the bug guts ate the paint so it looks like poop and it doesnt help that the paint is very very thin on the plastic bumper =(.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

washed the van today while the sun was completely up oh its soo sad and makes me wonder how much im actually going to be able to fix =/.

theres an odd discolored area on the front passenger door and a spot on the trim that extends into the door that is matte and ruff. im hoping to at least get the door done tomorrow on top of everything else non car related that needs to be done.

pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally got to use my new da and it was amazing hehe. it had rained on thursday then again yesterday so the van is a mess plus someone spilled hot chocolate down the back door last night at the coffee house =/. i didnt want to take what seems like forever to wash it before claying and polishing so i just wiped down the entire passenger side with spray detailer.

icky from rain heh

you can see a nice cluster of fine scratches on the sliding door in the window reflection.

i think i got the discolored spot off the front passenger door and the dull spots taken care of. of course while im working on the van the temp is dropping and dark clouds are building so no in sun pics again. i really really need better lighting in the garage theres only one regular light over the car and another in a cut out storage area in front of the car off to one side.

this is the area where the discolored spot was and i dont see it anymore ill know for sure when i can see it in the sun.

the area where the cluster of scratches were

now i cant do anything for a little bit, i killed off my bottle of ultimate compound and my bottle of 83 along with a pad =/.

i plan on washing the car tomorrow but we will see how the weather is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: