Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
taikuchin 
Guest Users: 21

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a little advice on paint.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey68
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Looking for a little advice on paint. Reply with quote

Well, I've read a lot of the threads about paint correction here and it gets a bit confusing. When I bought the car in Feb., it looked great. I don't know what the dealer used to clean this thing up, but it seems that I find little defects each time I wash it. It's got light swirls in all the panels except the rear quarter which I can tell has been repaired and real light scratches.
What I'm trying to do, is clean it up as best as I can and bring the color back out. I've always like Meguiar products and would like to use them. I just don't know what to use anymore. And, unfortunately, I'm on a bit of a tight budget. Any help to get me going in the right direction would be great.
iBorg
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this. There's some experts here. I'm not one.
Suspension- K and W Coil Overs, Freedom Strut Tower Brace.
Engine....Air Box Mod, Plugs and wires. Soon to Come... Replacement Intercooler lines plus suggestions?
Interior...BMW Convertible seat (in progress...look for postings when the bugs are out) and a Mopar body kit.
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "paint correction" is not something you can do with a pad in one hand and a "product" in the other. You need power equipment and experience or research and instruction at the very least. It takes professional skills to remove and resurface just the very top layer of the paint without burning through the high spots, creases and edges.

If you have the equipment and the polishing product, then it can be done by using up just a few dollars worth of supplies. But there is a big investment in time and the up front cost.

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done by hand, but it's a ton of work. If you're going to go that route, I'd suggest picking up some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a few foam wax applicator pads. Stay away from terry cloth or even microfiber pads as they can be overly aggressive. And don't let the word "compound" scare you - it's not the old "rocks in a bottle" stuff that will scour a clear coat paint job. The abrasives in it are very high tech and the product is derived from our M105 Ultra Cut Compound in our Pro line. But you can pick up UC at Walmart for about $10 a bottle.

You'll need to concentrate your efforts into small areas, about a foot square at a time, and work the product with some elbow grease to actually accomplish anything (hence the "it's a ton of work" part!). Don't let the product dry on the surface either - it only does it's think while being worked against the paint. Wipe it off while still wet, but wait until it looks pretty thin on the surface.

If you can pick up a DA buffer like the Porter Cable 7424 or, better yet, a Meguiar's G110v2 (lots more power but still totally safe for a novice to use) then do so. And read through [url=http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?45702-D-A-Buffing-101-%E2%80%93-An-Introduction-to-the-G110v2-(and-similar)]this article[/url] I wrote for our forum on how to use it before you start.

Whatever you do, do NOT be tempted to pick up a $30 rotary from Harbor Freight! It's not that there's anything wrong with the tool; yeah, it's a cheap rotary but in very skilled hands it can still do a lot of good, but in unskilled hands a rotary of any quality is flat out dangerous and you can do serious damage in no time if you don't know what you're doing. A big part of my job involves teaching people how to use both tools, and I always tell them this: Give me 15 minutes with you, teaching you how to use a DA buffer and I'll let you buff on my car. Give me all day teaching you how to use a rotary and I still won't let you buff on your own car yet. They are that much different.

iBorg
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Mike IS the expert.
Suspension- K and W Coil Overs, Freedom Strut Tower Brace.
Engine....Air Box Mod, Plugs and wires. Soon to Come... Replacement Intercooler lines plus suggestions?
Interior...BMW Convertible seat (in progress...look for postings when the bugs are out) and a Mopar body kit.
dewey68
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the reply Mike. There are so many products out there and I just didn't know which to use. Is there anything that needs to be done after the ultimate compound before the wax goes on?
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey68 wrote:
Thank you so much for the reply Mike. There are so many products out there and I just didn't know which to use. Is there anything that needs to be done after the ultimate compound before the wax goes on?

Maybe. UC usually finishes off wax ready, but you can boost the gloss even more by using Ultimate Polish between it and the wax. While UC will require some serious elbow grease to get the most out of it, that's where the really hard work ends. Applying the polish doesn't take anywhere near as much effort to use because you're no longer trying to remove swirls and other defects. Work it in gently in the same small sized areas, and wipe off while still wet.

Applying the wax shouldn't be hard work either - just apply it with tiny bit of pressure on the pad and spread it out really thin (most people grossly over use wax, often applying enough for 5 or 6 cars - don't do that!) over all the painted surfaces of the car, let it dry fully, and then just wipe it off. If you apply it properly thin it will wipe off with ease. And you don't need to keep buffing it to make it shinier, it doesn't work that way. Doing that just makes more work for you and takes off that last little bit of wax that you wanted to leave behind in the first place.

dewey68
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, the waxing part, I know pretty good. I used to use the 3 step(cleaner, polish, wax) that Meguiars sold back around 2000 on my black Mustang and loved it. I'm glad there are people that know the products and are willing to educate us. I wish that I was near California to attend one of the training sessions that are offered.
I will try to get some before and after shots and post them up. Thanks again Mike!
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey68 wrote:
Perfect, the waxing part, I know pretty good. I used to use the 3 step(cleaner, polish, wax) that Meguiars sold back around 2000 on my black Mustang and loved it. I'm glad there are people that know the products and are willing to educate us. I wish that I was near California to attend one of the training sessions that are offered.
I will try to get some before and after shots and post them up. Thanks again Mike!

Next time you come to CA on vacation (and you should) make some time to come out and take the class (I teach them) and I'll give you a private tour of our offices.

dewey68
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the offer Mike! It will be awhile before we can get a real vacation in with the situation we are currently in, but California would be a blast!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: