Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
VanceGrimes
Guest Users: 16

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Everyone, Sorry I have been away so long.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Hey Everyone, Sorry I have been away so long. Reply with quote

Hey all my Crew Friends,

Man, seems like its been forever since I have had enough time to stop in and finally say hey.

Been crazy busy with my detailing. What started in the garage led to the mobile van which got outgrown to moving into a shop out at a friends car lot to handle the volume better, and now I will be signing the lease on my own full service 2500 sqft detail shop tomorrow and will be slated to take possession on the 1st.

The cool thing about this shop is, it will be completely outfitted the way I want it, new lifts, tons of lighting, new epoxy floors, paint, and on and on. The plan is to set up a wash rack, 4 detail service bays, and then storage for customers vehicles if need be.

Our clientele is changing a bit as well. Though we have been doing mostly higher end BMW, Benz, Jag type stuff which is totally fine and all, my true heart is in the Rod and Custom world. So somehow, somewhere, the car gods have smiled down upon me and my new shop is located four doors down from an old buddy of mine who does all the paint and body for mostly all high end street rods, and another friend of mine who does all the interior custom work. Between the two of them, they have done more than 40 Magazine covers and feature cars, and at auction most of the cars they have built have averaged from the $50,000 to $130,000 plus range, and guess who will be handling the detailing on all these rods? Cool

Here is a quick link to a few of my Interior Friend's Mag features he has done.

http://www.armandoscustom.com/awards&mag.html

Here is a 55 Nomad we just got through color sanding yesterday.

More stuff ready for us coming up.

Anywayz, haven't forgotten about all of you. Will be sure to post some pic's as we get things moved in and all set up.

Till then, take care and I'll catch you all soon.

Please Like me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
turbodog
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: CandyMan Reply with quote

Great news-happy for you that things have turned your way, I know its been a rough road. Pls pics of your ride when you get a chance. Take good care.
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome

wish i could find somewhere like that to work, only detailing job i find posted is for carmax in gilbert and posting my ads doesnt seem to work =/
badger
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy,
would you happen to know of someone that paints well that isnt too expensive? Like maybe they paint on the side? Id sure like to find someone but....Im not made of $$ unfortunately Sad

Badger.....

p.s. I live in SoCal

Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey their Badger,

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you with an email. Been swamped getting caught up enough to get the new shop situated. Shocked Anyway, please feel free to shoot me over your pics of your project to westvalleycruisers@yahoo.com and lets see what we can put together.

And pezzy,

As far as finding some more fun vehicles to detail, one of the easiest ways I know is to try to hunt down your local body and paint supply stores and ask who around your area does higher end custom work like hot rods, or what not and
just hit them up. Tell them so and so referred you and go from their. Another good way we pick up some good contacts is to hit car shows and set up a table and sign offering free detailing advice, or find a good sized car club and maybe host a kind of cruise night if you will, pick a car that you feel confident you can get a good improvement on, and offer to assist the club in some hands on techniques and skill set to do some proper detailing. That way they learn something new, and you make a good number of contacts in one shot. Keep in mind that a lot of people with nice show cars are pretty leery about just who they trust to work on their pride and joy, especially when the market is usually way saturated with people who buy a pressure washer and buffer and instantly they see themselves as professional legit detail techs. It takes a certain amount of trust though you hang around enough and they will warm up, and once your in, your in. I also do free giveaways at a number of car shows weather it be some wax or polish, maybe a gift certificate for a free wash and wax, as well as do a lot of show and shine competition judging as well.

Another thing I try to strive for is to try to separate myself from other detail techs in my area. Every once in a while weather it be my ride, a friend or neighbors, or good customer, I will keep it a few days in the shop and do a complete detail including disassembling of the interior, color sanding and so forth. Its amazing how many people come in to the shop claiming to be highly trained in the art of detailing, see the car all apart, license plates, wipers and so forth nicely set in bags on a table, all masked off, and ask me what I am doing with a blank stare. In reality it really doesn't do much more than make it a bit easier as the more you disassemble or mask, the less time spent on removing buffing dust and wax, though its just those types of things that people love. Kinda the same mentality as the full service car wash with all the blinking lights and multicolored foam wax. It does very little if anything, but people buy in to all the "show" thing all the time.

Trust me, the vast majority of stuff I have been doing lately are not any where near as glamorous. In fact I just got done with a way nasty BMW that the guy just trashed and wanted us to work a miracle. Took a solid 4 days, complete disassemble the entire interior, up on jack stands to steam the undercarriage, wheels in and out, suspension, full color sand from 1500 - 3000, and full paint correction, on top of having to pull 8 dents out. The carpet was so bad that when we pulled the mats out they dumped about a half pound of dirt onto the seats, no joke. Shocked Sorry in advance for all the pics everyone.

And another project just finished up.

And a couple quick shots of the new shop.

Anywayz, that's about it for the moment.

mcdirtymetal
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do I send my résumé?
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Candy Man
So good to see you back out and doing well and opening a new business and moving on with your life!
Congrats to you and good luck on the new shop!

I sent you a PM!

Lucky 13
pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the main problem around here is ppl like to charge $20-$80 and call it a full detail when it really is just a hand wash and wax nothing else and theres tons of little places here that do that, so ppl see the price i charge for a detail and then think they can get the same for way cheaper even after explaining it.

i gave up on trying to talk to ppl at car shows or cruise ins, reason being im a girl they look at me like im full of shit and have no idea what im talking about they dont believe me when i tell them im the one that details our pt. my dad has had ppl comment on how nice his pt looks and when he tells them im the one that makes it look so good the are surprised a girl did it but thats about the extent of it.

i hate this state so bad everything is done half assed, no body cares that you do more and thats why your service costs more, if its called the same thing then it should cost the same no matter what grr. yes the sexism with anything to do with cars runs rampant i had to deal with it a bunch when i worked at autozone, nothing like answering the phone and being told they want to speak with a guy instead of you, got worse when i became a manager and i was wearing the grey shirt and was in the store with only a red shirt that was a guy, guess who they thought was the manager, yuup.

i stopped posting my ad for detailing over a year ago, i only ever got one call, he of course was surprised i was a girl but he still had me do the work, he was pleased with the work but i have never heard back from him. theres a bunch of other detailing ads on there to but they of course charge less. for now ill just work on our car and some random other non pay stuff but i give up on detailing turning into anything else for me in this state, maybe if we move ill try again.
grungerockjeeper
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear all's well, Candy. Looks like things are goin great for you, buddy. Id say you in fact DID work a miracle on that Bimmer, looks like its been neglected since day 1. And Id LOVE to see the before pics of that Jeep. I know how down right cruddy those things get, and with all the exposed hinges and tacked on do-dads on the body, its a detailers nightmare. I recently stripped the spare tire and carrier with 3rd brake lite off of my '00 Wrangler and I literally found 12 years of caked on congealed dirt, moss, mold tree waste, etc up under the thing!

'05 Dodge Ram 1500 black RumbleBee.
iBorg
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candyman......
Of all the people on the 'Crew you have one of the hardest trips (I know of only two others who have had such issues)through life. I'm so happy for you that things are finally falling into place.

Good luck on your new venture.....you deserve it.

Suspension- K and W Coil Overs, Freedom Strut Tower Brace.
Engine....Air Box Mod, Plugs and wires. Soon to Come... Replacement Intercooler lines plus suggestions?
Interior...BMW Convertible seat (in progress...look for postings when the bugs are out) and a Mopar body kit.
Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I thank you big time as always for your kind words. You guys are way cool, and I appreciate it big time.

Hey Pezzy,

Wish you were in a more open minded market. I here where your coming from, but their are tons of successful women out here that are in the industry and thriving. Just one of those things I recon.

Well, we finished and finally delivered the Nomad today. It was a fun project, but time to say goodbye and on to the next project. Here are some finished pic's.

And more projects were working on.

One of the more recent projects we did for my Interior guy is going to be in a photo shoot for Hot Rod Magazine first thing in the morning. Will try to snap some pic's if allowed. Never a dull moment around here for sure I tell ya. Shocked

Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Just throwing up a couple more pics of the next project. 56 F100, hoping for delivery on Monday. Shot this not that long ago. Apparently it was wiped down with a contaminated microfiber which scratched the entire front end nicely. Had to pretty much sand the front half down and bring it back up to a somewhat more respectable finish. Next I am going to have to fix a little unfortunate accident as the new bed floor we used from a new F150 accidentally found the top side of the rear diff and put a nice dent dead center. Never, ever, ever move the truck even a short distance with the bags down. Shocked

Anywayz,

And then we have this thing. Would you believe the Customer is having this one torn down and turned into a track race car? Granted not the pertiest thing, but damn, its still a split window. Customer is always right so they say, but the verdict is still out for me on this one. Also slated to rework that 57 next to it on Thursday.

Then this thing is waiting in line, and somewhere in between I got to do a glass install and fit and finish on an Impala (second Pic) I shot the other day. Never a dull moment I tell ya.

harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Work!!

Mark

04 Dream 3 #0531/AutoStick(DS Predator-Stage1 plus)
Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey their Mark,

Been a while man. I thank you as always. Very much appreciated.

Got a couple pix of that red 57 we just finished up for legendary Hot Rod Builder and friend Tim Beard. First car in our new light tunnel still yet to be finished but customers are waiting. That's my partner/apprentice Will getting her up in the air for a full undercarriage polish and finishing. Did the paint to a swirl free finish, wheels in and out, complete engine, trim polished, you name it we did it.

More cool projects coming in this week. Getting ready to roll a way cool Factory 5 Cobra complete with chromed out 427 into the booth early in the week.

Altema
PTcrewsinator
PTcrewsinator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Candyman, great to see you back in more ways than one Cool
That Nomad is pure eye-candy! Shame about the vette if it gets hacked for racing. You already know that split window was a one year only item. I would change the color but not go too far with the changes... maybe a mild custom that is reversable.

Pezzy, if I lived near you, you'd be doing ALL our cars! I had someone I knew that did detailing for a bit, but then I heard he used a garden hose on someone's INTERIOR, and it was not a Jeep... Needless to say I never let him near any of our rides.

2004 Onyx Green Pearl Platinum Series. Mopar Stage 1, big 16G turbo with ported housing and SRT4 CHRA, PCM controlled Stage 2 WG, Boomba BOV, AFE Stage 2 air cleaner system, custom intercooler, water/meth injection, composite intake, 3" O2/DP/Cat to SRT4 exhaust, E85 and gas tunes by Duster360. Upgrades planned and executed by CDD.
RIP: 2004 Electric Blue NA Stage 2, cold ram air induction, 3" airbox inlet, modified upper airbox, K&N, DynoMax cutout, Mopar/Borla duals, GoldLine lowering springs, Gabriel Ultra shocks, Eibach sways, custom blue LED interior lighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: