User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 10

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning the front of the Intercooler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoVert_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Cleaning the front of the Intercooler Reply with quote

Can the front of the intercooler be cleaned with Alluminum Mag Wheel cleaner and a soft plastic brush? The reason I ask is because I want to paint the front of the intercooler but I wanna prep it first so that the paint sticks and looks good for a long time. Thoughts please. Also,I can't find radiator paint in a silver/alluminum color. Can I just use regular alluminum paint? Or any other kind of silverish spray paint? Thanks in advance.

Rob
FamilyGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use vinegar on my Dad's aluminum shed. It has some kind of chemical reaction that opens the pores in the metal and allows the paint to stick. I had to wipe it down like cleaning a window, wait for it to dry and then start painting. It held for about 12 years before it started flaking off.
OurPTGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: try this? Reply with quote

i've never used one but a fin comb looks like a nifty gadget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzwboqN5Cw

Fin Comb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.55 KB
 Viewed:  165 Time(s)

Fin Comb.jpg

CoVert_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gadge OurPTGT but hat still doesn't answer my question about using alluminum mag cleaner...and I'll look into the vinegar thing but I still need to know what silvery paint I can use since radiator paint only comes in black.

Rob
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are going to have much choice with silver paint, or in other words, they are going to be pretty much all the same. They are basically a clear base with a fine metalflake. If you are determined to do it just buy whatever is available and don't overthink it.

Vinegar is a mild acetic acid solution. If you check the labels at your supermarket you should see that the percentage is marked and some are more concentrated than others, bargain brands being the lowest. Just squirt it on and use a brush to loosen any dead bugs, etc. Rinse it off and blow dry.

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
CoVert_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2step wrote:
I don't think you are going to have much choice with silver paint, or in other words, they are going to be pretty much all the same. They are basically a clear base with a fine metalflake. If you are determined to do it just buy whatever is available and don't overthink it.

Vinegar is a mild acetic acid solution. If you check the labels at your supermarket you should see that the percentage is marked and some are more concentrated than others, bargain brands being the lowest. Just squirt it on and use a brush to loosen any dead bugs, etc. Rinse it off and blow dry.

OK 2step...thats the kind of diection and guidance I was looking for. I have some generic vinegar jugs that I use to add to the laundry when I wash my dog's blankets and beds so I'll try using that with a spray bottle and a new soft plastic bristle brush then using a different bottle with RO water in it to rinse it off. Is there any benefit/detriment to using high temp alluminum paint on the front of the intercooler?

Rob
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A paint rated for "outdoor" for sure. I don't have any idea if the High Temp paint is better because I don't see that the temp would be all that high. But what do I know? Razz

I didn't spend a lot of time searching but I found this link in under a minute......
http://www.ehow.com/how_6760636_paint-aluminum-vinegar.html

You could do your own internet search using some key words and get more answers.

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
OurPTGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: try this? Reply with quote

OurPTGT wrote:
i've never used one but a fin comb looks like a nifty gadget.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwzwboqN5Cw

FAIL
it wont work anyway.
i use aluminum mag cleaner on mine all the time

apexanimal
PTfuckencyco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay away from high temp paint...

they tend to be more of an enamel that will insulate the fmic... just go with a basic outdoor paint and do on a couple VERY light coats...

DO RESEARCH!!!

https://www.facebook.com/RobertsonRacingMiata/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CoVert_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OurPTGT and Apex!...I appreciate the guidance. So,clean with Alluminum Mag Wheels Cleaner and soft plastic bristle brush,Rinse,Dry,paint with light coats of outdoor grade/non-enamel silver paint...

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: