User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 14

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

critique this thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OurPTGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: critique this thread Reply with quote

I see issues with his process but don't want to crap on his thread. I'm not knocking him as he said he's still learning. I cannot say i can do any better either Surprised
Just looking for discussion here on our board.
Thoughts?

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f166/still-ameatur-but-learning-fast-615503/

FamilyGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That truck was so trashed, I wouldn't have done it unless it was my job. Owners that let their car or truck get that bad should be MADE to be seen in it. I think he did great polishing it with what he had.
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with the results. Self taught and first attempt get an Attaboy. Some of the details might need a little fine tuning but give him time. He definitely didn't charge enough.
Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What others said. I have one nit to pick with his technique at first glance from the pics... Take the damn side handle off the maching and put your had on top of it. You want that puppy pressing flat, not tilted...

He also might not be using enough pressure, but that'll be a function of him not putting pressure in the right place.

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I see that I don't like is the use of dish soap and that he's working in the sun. He should get a pop-up tent to work under if a garage isn't available. Otherwise the results are very nice! Oh and he should be charging 2-3 times what he is...
1990 Chevy 454SS
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without actually watching him do it, it's a bit hard to fully critique his process. He says he's using speed 4.5 on the buffer and the Porter Cable is a bit lacking in power - I would never go below 5 on that tool for the type of correction he was up against there. Then again, I've never seen a Toyota with paint that was all that difficult to correct. He's probably making a couple of very common mistakes, though, like working too large an area, moving the buffer too fast over the paint, and not using enough pressure on the buffer.

Working in the sun like that is generally considered a no-no, but sometimes you just don't have much choice and have to make do. It would be nice if he had a better idea about just what he's using - he doesn't know which pad he's using from Adam's, and he's using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound the way Adam's recommends using their compounds. That's a bit silly.

In my eyes the biggest mistake he's making is his pricing schedule. He's obviously got some pretty damn good latent skills there, but $65 to $85 for a full correction? That's nuts, and it kills the rest of us who are actually trying to make some money at this. It will also be much harder for him to make any real money at this in the future. I wouldn't have touched that truck for less than $300, maybe more. And I've got a couple of people who have tipped me pretty damn well even after charging that much. I charged a guy $400 to do his black SL55 AMG and he tipped me $100, then called me back a few months later to give it a freshening up and also do his Shelby Cobra, also black. And I'm going back again in a couple of months for another round.

pezzy
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah his price is definitely to low i have mine set at $250 for a full paint detail and it goes up depending on how much work its going to take to fix the problem. when i fixed the hood on the bmw i think i charged him $60 just for the hood and he gave me a tip.

i see places listing all the time they do full details for $60-$80 and if anywhere actually lists what they do its usually just a wash, wax, clean chrome, tire shine and vacuum the interior so then customers gawk at the $250 price i list even though i list what you get for that price.
OurPTGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pezzy wrote:
yeah his price is definitely to low i have mine set at $250 for a full paint detail and it goes up depending on how much work its going to take to fix the problem. when i fixed the hood on the bmw i think i charged him $60 just for the hood and he gave me a tip.

i see places listing all the time they do full details for $60-$80 and if anywhere actually lists what they do its usually just a wash, wax, clean chrome, tire shine and vacuum the interior so then customers gawk at the $250 price i list even though i list what you get for that price.

the 'brushless' car wash near me does this. I saw them do a MB suv during the summer. I kid you not, the machine they were using had a pad on it the size of a floor buffer. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: