User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 18

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clay Bar Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ute
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Clay Bar Question Reply with quote

So always have used detailer spray when clay baring

If I run out during a session can i use just water in a spray bottle ?

Or should i put some cre wash soap/water mixture in the bottle ?

Thanks

And also how long does a piece of clay last ? as long as its not grimy / black ......its still good to go ?
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in a pinch car wash soap in water will work ok, only a very small amount of soap, just enough to make it slippery.

Yes, when you can no longer get clean looking clay after kneading it it's time to get a new piece...

1990 Chevy 454SS
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....also, if you drop the claybar on the ground, don't think you can fold it over and keep using it. Throw it away.
Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcktpwrd wrote:
I think in a pinch car wash soap in water will work ok, only a very small amount of soap, just enough to make it slippery.

Yes, when you can no longer get clean looking clay after kneading it it's time to get a new piece...

This^

harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm going to add a question :

I have some oxidation on my roof and I have a Meguiars "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" & some Meguiars "Ultimate Compound".

Would you wash / clay / compund to tackle the oxidation OR would you just wash / compound & skip the clay??

Thanks.

Mark

04 Dream 3 #0531/AutoStick(DS Predator-Stage1 plus)
dodgeboy
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2step wrote:
.....also, if you drop the claybar on the ground, don't think you can fold it over and keep using it. Throw it away.

Use it on your glass....only Cool

Hurst STS,w/rod end mod., Booger bushings, Eibach Pro Spring Kit, Bilstein Sport Shocks & Struts, Progress Bars Frt.& Rear, Modded Stock Air Box W/ K&N Drop In, Custom Ram CAI & AMX "catch can", AMX's Lower Pipe & T.T.A.B, Vak5 Up Pipe, PTP Check Valve, Forge BOV, Taggert's S1 FMIC, DCR 55mm T/B, Magnacore Wires, MSD Coil, Denso ITL 20's @.28, Plastic Intake, Avid Mts., Needswings 3"O2&D/P with 2.5" Mopar/Borla Cat Back ....That's All....For Now
dodgeboy
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harleyrider86 wrote:

I have some oxidation on my roof and I have a Meguiars "Smooth Surface Clay Kit" & some Meguiars "Ultimate Compound".

Would you wash / clay / compund to tackle the oxidation OR would you just wash / compound & skip the clay??

Thanks.

Mark

I would clay after compounding.Just in case there's any nasties left... Cool

Hurst STS,w/rod end mod., Booger bushings, Eibach Pro Spring Kit, Bilstein Sport Shocks & Struts, Progress Bars Frt.& Rear, Modded Stock Air Box W/ K&N Drop In, Custom Ram CAI & AMX "catch can", AMX's Lower Pipe & T.T.A.B, Vak5 Up Pipe, PTP Check Valve, Forge BOV, Taggert's S1 FMIC, DCR 55mm T/B, Magnacore Wires, MSD Coil, Denso ITL 20's @.28, Plastic Intake, Avid Mts., Needswings 3"O2&D/P with 2.5" Mopar/Borla Cat Back ....That's All....For Now
harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgeboy wrote:
harleyrider86 wrote:

Thanks.

Mark

I would clay after compounding.Just in case there's any nasties left... Cool
Great Idea!! Thanks.

Mark

2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clay bar is for taking off little bumps like tree sap, bug shit and rail dust. For oxidation you need something more aggressive like the compound, so the clay bar would be redundant. You can try the clay yourself after you clean up the oxidation but I'm guessing you will instantly see that it's not adding anything to the process.

M-I-O is the GO TO MAN for all things detailing paint so if he says different, I'll defer to his opinion.

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
wwpptc
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So M-I-O is the G-T-M. IGI.

Jerry
harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kinda been waiting for MiO to chime in. Very Happy

Mark

Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been pointed out, clay is for removing above surface bonded contaminants; the industrial fallout and other junk that does not come off when you wash the car. The best clay lube is a quick detail spray, second is a few drops of car wash soap in a spray bottle of water. Plain water alone is a terrible lubricant.

Paint cleaners and compounds are for dealing with below surface defects like swirls, fine scratches, oxidation, etchings from bird droppings, etc. These are essentially fine abrasives suspended in a lubricating liquid and they only do their thing when being physically worked against the surface. Wiping them on like a wax and letting them sit accomplishes zero, nada, zilch. Nothing.

If you need to deal with both above surface contaminants and below surface defects, do the clay first. Yes, the compound may take off some of the above surface crud but asking it to do that just compromises its ability to do the main task it was designed for. Plus, you're then basically just picking up those large chunks and grinding them back into the paint. Clay doesn't "pick up" those chunks, it shaves them down bit by bit and hangs on to them.

Mark, if the oxidation you're talking about is on your PT then I have to say I'm a bit worried. Clear coats don't normally oxidize in the sense that single stage paints do. What people often think is oxidation on a clear coat finish too frequently ends up being clear coat failure. Do you have any pictures of the situation?

harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-in-Orange wrote:
Mark, if the oxidation you're talking about is on your PT then I have to say I'm a bit worried. Clear coats don't normally oxidize in the sense that single stage paints do. What people often think is oxidation on a clear coat finish too frequently ends up being clear coat failure. Do you have any pictures of the situation?
Mike, this is indeed my PT.

I caused the damage to the roof I think. My son & I clayed the car quite a while back and then waxed. I did one side of the car while my son did the other. From the location of the oxidation, it is a spot we clayed but missed waxing so it sat exposed to the elements.

I'll get a picture and post it up. Thanks.

Mark

ute
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys !!

MIO informative as always ..always learn something new
harleyrider86
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always - awesome info MiO..........thanks.

The damage is right behind the sunroof, a bit more on the passenger side than the drivers (the picture is from pretty close up).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mark

IMG_0518.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.97 KB
 Viewed:  156 Time(s)

IMG_0518.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: