User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 21

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polishing exhaust parts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Polishing exhaust parts Reply with quote

I just swapped my catted downpipe back so that I can go get inspected. While I have the catless out, I wanna polish it up and make it look nice again. How can I polish the dp so that it looks new again? Can I use regular car polish or will that burn up when the heat gets to it?

New: 2012 Hyundai Accent SE 5 door. Marathon Blue with black interior. Bought it new on July 2nd 2011 with 7 miles Smile
DMW
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take some sand paper to it to get the bad stuff, and gradually go with a finer and finer grit. Just be warned that the downpipe won't stay polished that long. It will start to brown.

'04 Autostick GT 14.52 @ 95 | 214/315 whp/tq (traded in on the above SRT in October '08 )
Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks like crap right now. I just wanna make it look nice even if it's only for a few weeks. Or days.

New: 2012 Hyundai Accent SE 5 door. Marathon Blue with black interior. Bought it new on July 2nd 2011 with 7 miles Smile
njsteve
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borla Performance, famous for incredible quality and leading edge technology, has created a custom, high-end cleaner/polish that has been specially formulated to restore the original factory finish to stainless steel exhaust (PN 21461). Combining state-of-the-art cleaning solutions in a revolutionary formula to provide unmatched results and protection. Helps remove colorization. Cuts through layers of dulling oxides. Safely and easily. Apply and buff off for a world-class brightness and excellent protection from the elements.

Price: $19.99 (USD

Have not use it but I am tempted

http://www.borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=21461

2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/Silver/5 speed/sold on E Bay
Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wouldn't wanna spend 20 bucks on something I'd use once lol

I'll prolly try the sand paper and maybe a little bit of polish. I just want to get all the brown and black stains off.

rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine steel wool might work pretty well too, like 000 or 0000.
1990 Chevy 454SS
njsteve
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really wouldn't wanna spend 20 bucks on something I'd use once lol

You could always use it on your exhaust tip. Should last a few years.

2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/Silver/5 speed/sold on E Bay
Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ true that. IDK maybe i'll have to order some

Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well after wiping down the pipe real well, I think theres rust on it Shocked It's made out of stainless steel and I was thinking if I could use a ceramic coating on it to make the pipe last. I don't want to have to buy another Hrm

DMW
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all stainless is created equal. There are different levels of thickness. I'm guessing that CHQ pipe is the thin stuff. But hey, for the price, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have to replace it. Razz

'04 Autostick GT 14.52 @ 95 | 214/315 whp/tq (traded in on the above SRT in October '08 )
Taggert_LOA
PTcrewsinator
PTcrewsinator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Es Ar Tee PT wrote:
well after wiping down the pipe real well, I think theres rust on it Shocked It's made out of stainless steel and I was thinking if I could use a ceramic coating on it to make the pipe last. I don't want to have to buy another Hrm
nevr-dull will take care of any surface rust.

Christopher Reeve.
Es Ar Tee PT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DMW wrote:
Not all stainless is created equal. There are different levels of thickness. I'm guessing that CHQ pipe is the thin stuff. But hey, for the price, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have to replace it. Razz

true that, but I like my CHQ...lol
I thought stainless didn't rust, no matter the thickness. I don't really know how to describe it but it looks like patches of brown/red that are on the pipe and they don't come off with wiping it down with Windex, nor a polishing compound (Meg ultimate compound).

Taggert_LOA
PTcrewsinator
PTcrewsinator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to use rubbing compound, then polishing.

Christopher Reeve.
Flashbk2
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked @ a forging works company in the early '70's (yep i'm that old !) anyway I worked in the yard hauling in the steel by crane to machines a few years. stainless does rust.... the lower number grade ie: st 340 rusts quicker than higher grades like a 440 . Stainless would have spots while regular steel would be rusty overall . Just an fyi
, 03 E- Blue 5-speed|xenon crusher&sides|color-matched interior consoles,exterior pillars & mirrors|b&m sport shifter w/ flameball "hair" knob|3 pro-comp lite autometer gauges|amx hard pipes| mopar stg1/ bov|diablo93 tune|maxxfab 3"down pipe coupled to Borla duels|Spec2plus clutch|eibach lowered/kyb struts shocks| '07 marine blue auto na base|
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old trick we used to do to keep stainless and chromed pipes from discoloring by heat was to take the pipe and clean the entire inside with degreasers and high pressure water spray. Let it dry up, then spray in a can of high-temp exhaust manifold paint. Spray lots of thin layers first, then spray in an extra thick and heavy final coat and let the piping completely dry. Then taking a propane torch we'd apply the flame inside as far as it would reach to cure the paint for the next step. After cooling we'd spray a can of WD-40 into the pipe then assemble it into the system. Car would smoke like a bitch when first running as the oil is burning away. But the paint and oil cure to a hard gloss finish inside and prevented the chrome from browning or bluing from heat. I did this with a pair of Doug Thorley show pipes on my old '77 Vette. They stayed looking as good as day one when the car went 2 years later.

Regards!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-This bitch is getting built!
2005 PT Touring Edition Convertible Turbo-Mostly stock. S1 PCM, maybe more.
2016 Nissan Juke Nismo RS-All stock and staying that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: