User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 16

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PT Plug wires-Size, resistance & performance comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robinh
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: PT Plug wires-Size, resistance & performance comparison Reply with quote

I've got an '06 PT GT, and have watched and listened to conversations regarding who makes the best plug wires, on and on, ad nauseum... So, tired of everyone saying who makes the best and who doesn't, I decided to invest the money and do a comparison myself. I'm comparing three sets of plug wires: Factory, Crane Firewires, and finally, but definitely not lastly, the Motorworks 10.2mm racing plug wires recently posted on eBay.

First off, let me warn you, this is an in-depth, wrenchers version of "I use the damn things every day" comparison. This is not some scientific BS where I will be espousing facts and figures that were made up in some Marketing buttholes office, no this is stuff I'm touching, using, measuring and will report back to you on. This will take me some time to build out as I'm currently running each set for at least a week to make sure they are heated up during use, that they get some mileage on them, that they are used in both city and urban environments, and so I can get an mpg estimate on them.

Right now my car is running the Crane Firewires, and while I know Crane has sold off and we don't know if they will ever sell again, they are a good, middle of the road set of performance plug wires to measure up against these new Motorworks wires. So for now, I'm running the Cranes, then will install the Motorworks, then will (ugh) put the factory wires back in.

Now what can you expect from this? Well, I'm going to physically measure all three sets of wires so you get all the dimensions with no BS involved. Length, width, depth, etc. Then I have a list of items that I welcome hearing feedback on, if you want me to add something to it. Mind you, your feedback will need to be made in the open forum not here in the Mod Bible, I will post a link to that shortly.

So here's my short list of tests for the wires:
Code:
* Wire resistance, end to end
* Ambient temperature on the wire's skin after 30 minutes of driving
* Fuel mileage (will post driving stats too)
* General operating feel
* Feel under acceleration
* Measurements via Predator (still don't know which ones yet)
* Report on any oddities encountered

I'm also going to ask my Predator Partner's in Crime to give me some suggested logs to run for the electrical and spark/ignition system. Maybe I can get some real data there also.

So, to start off, below I have put together quite a picture show of my measurements on the Motorworks 10.2mm racing wires.

Last edited by Robinh on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robinh
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first set of wire measurements are on the Motorworks 10.2mm plug wires sold on eBay.

These are sold by autodinamics and you can find their link Here

These are being sold for $29.99 plus $13.50 flat rate shipping. Yes, I can ship the same plug wires for $4.98 flat rate off my ebay shipping account, so the shipping is a ripoff but for the entire cost of $43.49 you are getting a good set of plug wires....we hope... time will tell, as will my evaluation here. So to start off, I'm offering up all the measurements I've taken of these plug wires. I will update this post when I finish testing them. After these, I will be posting my evaluation of the Crane Firewires.

So off we go, lots and lots and lots of picturs... they are self-explanatory, if you have a comment, please do so on my link in the open forums: http://www.ptcrew.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=274449

One comment on these wires - they really did measure out well for resistance - two wires under 1 ohm, two under 1.2 ohms.

Remember, if you have a comment, please do so on my link in the open forums: http://www.ptcrew.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=274449

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> The Mod Bible All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: