User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 16

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meguiars glaze questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptcary
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Meguiars glaze questions Reply with quote

So my Mazda was sideswiped by a city bus and the entire drivers side repainted by local Mazda shop. It's a 3-stage pearl white.

It's coming home with fresh paint and they told me not to Opticoat it for 90 days.
I can abide by that, but have read that Meguiars #7 glaze is good for cleaning it during those 90 days and #34 detailer mist is good in case of water spots or bird droppings.

And advice on caring for it during the 90 days? How often with the Glaze?

2010 Mazda 3 iSport
2013 Ford Focus ST
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a Mike-in-Orange question.
Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
Busted_PT
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's paints don't require that much cure time. Most can be buffed in as little an hour. If you can buff them you can wax them. Give it a week and do what you want. Even old school enamels and lacquer only required 30 days. People just make up stuped stuff. Find out what was used and check with the factory rep for that product and see what they say. Cool
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary, do you have a Meguiars product bottle?

There is a customer care phone number on the back of it. Call them, the guys who man the phones are the detailers like MiO who can answer that question. Their call center is in Irvine at the headquarters so don't fear make the call..

ptcary
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, Meguiars says #7 glaze, same as the body shop said. Pep boys only had the gallon size spray detailer #34 so I just went with a small bottle of the regular stuff in the maroon bottle since it has no wax and auto geek forum recommends it.

Bird crap is my main concern. Body shop says they wash with 1800 psi so I know it can already handle that. I have a car wash membership but will avoid that for the first month too.

Meguiars also says to wait at least 60 days minimum before sealing it. I use Opticoat and really like it. I will also use their polish and an alcohol wipe down when it's ready to be sealed.

I think I will be ok, just will feel much better after it's Opticoated. It's such a beautiful color, I want to keep it as nice as I can.

All in all very happy to get the car back today, $7500 worth of damage and $1200 for the rental car, all paid for by the city insurance company. There was no structural damage, but any more and it would have been totaled. Had I been in the PT, it would have been totaled based upon financial worth.

2010 Mazda 3 iSport
2013 Ford Focus ST
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep some microfiber towels and quick detailer in the car check it on your lunch break and clean up stuff as you find it.. Remember soak bird dirt then wipe it up..

It will be fine.. Very Happy

ptcary
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:
Just keep some microfiber towels and quick detailer in the car check it on your lunch break and clean up stuff as you find it.. Remember soak bird dirt then wipe it up..

It will be fine.. Very Happy

That's my plan! happy but I'll feel much better once it's sealed again.

2010 Mazda 3 iSport
2013 Ford Focus ST
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't park under street lamps, in my neck of the woods they are more dangerous than under trees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: