Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Darby47Q426
Guest Users: 15

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Protecting Aluminum wheels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Protecting Aluminum wheels Reply with quote

Okay, my daughter needs new tires on her GT, and I located a set of 16" rimes from a PT Dreamer - polished aluminum.
Any chance of protecting the rims with rattle-can polyurethane?
Anybody tried it?
Her chrome rims are peeling and 16" tires are cheaper and last longer (depending on tire of course).
She will not spend time polishing rims, I know it.
Advice welcome.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get her steelies.

Problem solved.

QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:
get her steelies.

Problem solved.

Very Happy

Logical, but as I said, I have a set of rims lined up...

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VHT SP184 Clear Coat Wheel Paint on chrome wheels. It will delay the chrome from peeling due to weathering,help more easily clean the brake dust off and kinda protect them from small pebble impacts.
Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this same question when I replaced my peeling OEM 5-spokes with a nicer set. I ended up just going with Gibbs Brand penetrating oil. I've applied it twice since late last spring, and the wheels still look as good as new. If anything, it keeps the wheels clean of brake dust and general grime, while water just beads up and sheets right off like Rain-X on glass. Nothing to cover or hide the chrome so they're extremely crisp and shiny.

Regards!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-Rebuilt engine, S1 PCM, S2 WGA, modified TD04, NeedsWings 3" O2, Cat D.P., Hard Pipes, Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, S2 Coilovers, G.C. Camber Plates, Mopar F/R sways, K&N Filters. New systems: clutch, power steering, suspension, ext. lighting, cooling, braking w/Centric StopTech D/S Rotors & Hawk HPS F/R, Upper/Lower Deyeme Torque Struts Firm, DCR Clutch Pedal Rod, Gates Blue Racing Belts (3), SRP Racing Pedals, Nitto Motivo tires.
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys he is talking aluminum, the chrome wheels are dying so they will go to the chromer in the sky.

Polished uncoated aluminum, is what he needs info on protecting.

LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:
Guys he is talking aluminum, the chrome wheels are dying so they will go to the chromer in the sky.

Are we sure they're uncoated? The polished aluminum ones for my Solstice were clearcoated...

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:

The VHT wheel clear I posted works on polished aluminum very well. And is also rated at 250F normal application but can be cure to resistance up to 900F. I have used it on rear caliper before after doing paint and metal work for show.

If you have never tried it ,try it ,you will get spoiled using it!

VHT SP184 Clear Coat Wheel Paint

Hot rodders are a strange lot. They’ll spend thousands of dollars on performance parts to improve acceleration, handling or braking, but most won’t spend one dime on testing to discover if all those parts really made a difference!
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiquidPT wrote:
Bosch wrote:

Are we sure they're uncoated? The polished aluminum ones for my Solstice were clearcoated...

I don't have them yet - I was told they're polished aluminum = definitely not chromed, dunno about clearcoat.

NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
LiquidPT wrote:
Bosch wrote:

I don't have them yet - I was told they're polished aluminum = definitely not chromed, dunno about clearcoat.

Most every Magnesium and Aluminum custom wheels going all the way back to the 70's and most all factory Aluminum wheels were clear coated and most all of them are today as well?! Cool

LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NitroPT wrote:
QuicksilverDon wrote:
LiquidPT wrote:
Bosch wrote:

Most every Magnesium and Aluminum custom wheels going all the way back to the 70's and most all factory Aluminum wheels were clear coated and most all of them are today as well?! Cool

That's kinda what I thought. The aluminum wheels on CaptainCog's early 70s Camaro are raw, but aluminum will oxidize if it's not coated

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
NitroPT
PTcrewner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiquidPT wrote:
NitroPT wrote:
QuicksilverDon wrote:
LiquidPT wrote:
Bosch wrote:

That's kinda what I thought. The aluminum wheels on CaptainCog's early 70s Camaro are raw, but aluminum will oxidize if it's not coated

I use to hate when the wheels were old and the clear coat started to peel off. You would have the unprotected area's looking really oxidized and the clear coat still looking good.

There is a powder coat now that is clear which is nice to get raw material now coated with either satin or traditional clear.

Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just seeing everyone talking about chrome and not aluminum I thought I would hit the brakes on the thread.

I didn't see a specific spot where Don said they were coated so I went on the side that were not coated to get the response more to what I thought he needed.

Clear powder coat? Sweet stuff right there.. I would so use a flat coat on a set of dark grey wheels..

/thread jack..

GT Bruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch wrote:
I was just seeing everyone talking about chrome and not aluminum I thought I would hit the brakes on the thread.

I didn't see a specific spot where Don said they were coated so I went on the side that were not coated to get the response more to what I thought he needed.

Clear powder coat? Sweet stuff right there.. I would so use a flat coat on a set of dark grey wheels..

/thread jack..

That's specifically why I recommended Gibbs Brand. It was developed to restore and protect raw aluminum and magnesium parts. Whether the parts are plated, polished, cleared, or raw, the Gibbs does wonders at protecting against the elements. I had outstanding results on my chromed OEMs. I had asked about powdercoating clear or any of the available clears out there, but 2Step and RallyD changed my mind.

I'm glad they did.

Regards!

2003 GT #1-Mostly stock, rebuilt engine/trans, Borla dual exhaust, modified TD04, S1 PCM, S2 Coilovers, Brabus steering wheel, K&N Filters.
2003 GT #2-Rebuilt engine, S1 PCM, S2 WGA, modified TD04, NeedsWings 3" O2, Cat D.P., Hard Pipes, Magnaflow 2.5" Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, S2 Coilovers, G.C. Camber Plates, Mopar F/R sways, K&N Filters. New systems: clutch, power steering, suspension, ext. lighting, cooling, braking w/Centric StopTech D/S Rotors & Hawk HPS F/R, Upper/Lower Deyeme Torque Struts Firm, DCR Clutch Pedal Rod, Gates Blue Racing Belts (3), SRP Racing Pedals, Nitto Motivo tires.
soonercruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assumed that the polished aluminum wheels on the 2005 Dream Cruiser were clearcoated.
So, I simply use a spray on wax occasionally, and wipe & buff off the excess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: