User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 22

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pledge on tires?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vipergts
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Pledge on tires? Reply with quote

I dont like the greasy kids stuff you get at Auto Zone...Most products make them too shiney...Then they turn brown after a couple of days. I decrapped that stuff off my tires with a few rounds of Bleach White and added lemon pledge over the top...The tires have a low gloss natural sheen and keeps the dirt and dust sticking to the tires...It is now part of my cleaning arsenal! Try it! Al
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meguiars Hyperdressing cut 3-1. Satin black tires that actually treats the rubber like rubber. Leave the pledge to your coffee table.
Candyman
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the reason your tires are greasy and brown after a day or two is due to the type of dressing your using. Many over the counter dressings like Armor All and so forth are an oil, or solvent base.

What you want is a water base which will not collect dust so it won't brown up and make a mess out of things. I use Hyper Dressing in my shop. Works very well and as already mentioned the trick to using dressing is dilution.

I keep a full strength bottle for high gloss tires for show, another mixed 3-1 for satin gloss on tires upon request, and a third bottle mixed 50/50 for light sheen on interior, wheel well plastics and trim.

A couple of quick notes to make life easier:

1. When dressing tires and not wanting to make a mess out of your wheels, I make my own quick and simple covers out of cardboard to fit just around the wheel lip, cut two holes in the center to hold, and cover it in duct tape. Then you have a cover to hold up and not get dressing on your wheels.

2. I also have a piece of plastic I cut from an old 55 gallon plastic drum I use to hold around the wheel lip to dress the inner wheel wells without getting spray onto the paint.

The main reason I tend to talk people out of using some household products is, the PH balance, and some other chemicals tend to dry and crack plastics and rubber, and can potentially cause damage or premature wear as well as if they accidentally get on paint, they can cause staining or other types of damage as well.

Here is a Link to the Meg's Hyper Dressing. It is in their Professional Line and as far as I know only comes in Gallon Form but that would give you several bottles of various strengths to use on interior, engine compartment, tires, and so forth so it is always handy to have enough on hand, and isn't that expensive for the amount you get. Anywayz...

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-hyper-dressing.html

If you have anymore questions on anything, please feel free to ask anytime and I am always more than happy to help out wherever I can.

Please Like me on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
badger
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow......great info Candyman! thanks for the tips!
vipergts
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... Never heard of it...Is that something you apply with a rag or tire sponge?
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candyman wrote:
1. When dressing tires and not wanting to make a mess out of your wheels, I make my own quick and simple covers out of cardboard to fit just around the wheel lip, cut two holes in the center to hold, and cover it in duct tape. Then you have a cover to hold up and not get dressing on your wheels.

2. I also have a piece of plastic I cut from an old 55 gallon plastic drum I use to hold around the wheel lip to dress the inner wheel wells without getting spray onto the paint.

OMG. #1 is genius. Doing that (I'm going to need 15, 16, 17 and 18" sizes I think)

#2 is pretty good too. I just don't dress the wheel wells as often as tires, and that contraption doesn't sound as portable in the Solstice when travelling for shows.. Smile

But ya, Hyperdressing rocks. I bought a gallon 6 years ago, gave some to my parents and have 4 cars... and I still think i have at least half the bottle. I usually mix up 2 strengths: 1:1 (or 50/50) is what I use on new tires, tires i haven't done in a really long time and i know will soak up a lot and my engine bay before a show. 3:1 is what i usually use on tires for just black tire look and on interior trim to keep it conditioned.

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mcdirtymetal
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To semi thread jack; is there a product out there that repels brake dust? Something you can put on wheels?
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdirtymetal wrote:
To semi thread jack; is there a product out there that repels brake dust? Something you can put on wheels?

Meguiars recently came out with just such a product, it's supposed to work well. I can't recall the name...

1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
mcdirtymetal
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier
Just looked it up, gonna get some and check it out.

PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdirtymetal wrote:
Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier
Just looked it up, gonna get some and check it out.

Let us know how it works out?

2005 Turbo Lite Convertible, Stage-1 PCM, Mopar Blue Plate BOV, Denso Iridiums 1-Step Colder Plugs, Mopar Performance Wires, Modified Airbox w/K&N Drop-In Filter, AMX TTAB Hard Pipe, All Hard Pipes,3" O2 Housing, 3" Needswings Cat-Less Downpipe, Custom Dual Tip Magnaflow Exhaust, Eibach Lowering Springs, 19" Axis Matrix Wheels Powdercoated Satin Black, Nankang Ultra-2 Tires 245/40 Rears & 225/40 Fronts, Billet Upper Grill, Lower Grill Cut-out, Black Housing JDM Headlights w/Yellow Fog Lights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: