User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 24

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a PT but....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2step
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
My claybar "technique" is to keep it wet, and move it as fast as I can - no pressure, but fast. Elbow does get a workout. Is that wrong?

This is what happens if you forget to copy/paste just one word......

"My "technique" is to keep it wet, and move it as fast as I can - no pressure, but fast. Elbow does get a workout. Is that wrong?" Shocked

Father Duffy wants you to say 10 Our Fathers and put a $20 in the poor box. Cool

Christy, AKA Snittykitty, has never sold an ad on the Crew and never had a cash call to pay the bills or even hinted. This forum lives or dies by donations. She created this forum because of her love of Cruisers and even though us motor heads have jacked it for ourselves and she is more into stylin', she has never thrown in the towel. Why not send her a a message once in a while saying how you appreciate her loyalty? Keep Cruisin' everybody and have a nice day.
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
My claybar "technique" is to keep it wet, and move it as fast as I can - no pressure, but fast. Elbow does get a workout. Is that wrong?
Well, 2step's dirty mind notwithstanding, you don't need to move the clay "as fast as you can", although moving it quickly is fine. I always tell people to keep the surface well lubricated and that you should be splashing that lube around a bit. Very slow, methodical movements won't really get the job done effectively, but you don't need the other extreme either. If your elbow hurts when you're finished you've done something wrong.
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-in-Orange wrote:
That sure looked more like some sort of staining in the paint, which you would not expect a clay bar to remove - clay only works on above surface bonded contaminants. It's sort of a moot point now, though, since you've gotten rid of it.

But yeah, using a lot of elbow grease with clay just flat out sounds like improper use of the clay bar. If you literally ended up scrubbing with the clay, which you really shouldn't do, and if whatever this stain was wasn't all that attached to the paint, it makes sense that you got rid of it. But in future, for something like this that is more in the paint than on it (I'm assuming that you could not feel this with your bare hand) you're better off with a paint cleaner like SwirlX or even Ultimate Compound.

But at the end of the day, what worked, worked.

That's the odd part you could feel it and when I sprayed on the quick detailed some of it went away from the spot. My original idea was to get something like swirlx or ultimate compound to get rid of it, the claybar was more so my sisters idea.

And ill remeber not to put too much pressure on the clay next time, I was just trying to get rid of whatever that crap was. Also the first spot I tried it on (there was two of these spots on opposite sides of the hood) I did spray a little too much quick detailer on without thinking about it Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: