User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 17

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a PT but....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Not a PT but.... Reply with quote

Well after getting my sister's 07 Caliber washed, noticed something rather odd looking, pretty sure I've seen it before. looks almost like someone spilled milk on it, only really noticeable in the right directions.

There are two spots like this, but I was only able to really get the one spot they both look like something was run on them.

Anyone have any idea a. what is it? and b. how to remove it (minus geting it repainted).

Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks kinda like water spotting or possible fallout. Try polish.
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start simple with something like a cleaner wax and see if that takes care of the issue. If that doesn't work then step up to a compound like product...
Meguair's makes some great stuff. http://www.meguiars.com/

1990 Chevy 454SS
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I can try the cleaner wax tomorrow, if it doesn't decide to rain (and my sister still feels too sick to goto work), not sure it will do much. The polish I'll have to go out and buy some and see if it works. (been thinking about getting some anyways, for my PT which has plenty of light scratches, that could be fixed by polish.
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try hitting it with the claybar first see if it removes any of it then try meguiars ultimate compound.
03electricbluegt
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the car ever been egged? Looks like you'll need some sort of a chemical based cleaner rather than a polish/abrasive. Maybe MIO can recommend something.
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

03electricbluegt wrote:
Has the car ever been egged? Looks like you'll need some sort of a chemical based cleaner rather than a polish/abrasive. Maybe MIO can recommend something.

As far as I know its never been egged, but we bought it used a year or two ago.

PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i went out today, and clay barred the affected areas, and well whatever it was, is gone now, took quite a bit of elbow grease to get it out but its gone. Very Happy
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever have a car bra on it that sat on it wet?
Glad you worked it out and she owes you....
rcktpwrd
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool!

hope you applied some wax after the clay barring...

1990 Chevy 454SS
LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny wrote:
Well i went out today, and clay barred the affected areas, and well whatever it was, is gone now, took quite a bit of elbow grease to get it out but its gone. Very Happy

Erm, elbow grease and clay bar do not go together... you're rubbing an abrasive over the surface to knock surface contaminants off... Elbow grease would put scratches in the surface...

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Benny
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like i said before we bought it used, so what the previous owners did with it we have no idea (I do know one of its previous owners was a Chrysler Employee, might explain why its a 5 speed with cloth heated seats)

and yes I did apply some wax after clay barring the area. Who would clay bar a car then not wax? isn't that just asking for trouble?

and as for scratches left behind by clay bar, I was working with meguiars quik detailer, and plenty of it, if there are scratches on that surface, I didn't see them though, if there were scratches left behind she probably wouldn't even notice, she's happy enough that that stuff is gone.

Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure looked more like some sort of staining in the paint, which you would not expect a clay bar to remove - clay only works on above surface bonded contaminants. It's sort of a moot point now, though, since you've gotten rid of it.

But yeah, using a lot of elbow grease with clay just flat out sounds like improper use of the clay bar. If you literally ended up scrubbing with the clay, which you really shouldn't do, and if whatever this stain was wasn't all that attached to the paint, it makes sense that you got rid of it. But in future, for something like this that is more in the paint than on it (I'm assuming that you could not feel this with your bare hand) you're better off with a paint cleaner like SwirlX or even Ultimate Compound.

But at the end of the day, what worked, worked.

QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My claybar "technique" is to keep it wet, and move it as fast as I can - no pressure, but fast. Elbow does get a workout. Is that wrong?
Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuicksilverDon wrote:
My claybar "technique" is to keep it wet, and move it as fast as I can - no pressure, but fast. Elbow does get a workout. Is that wrong?

You don't need to go that fast, keep the paint wet. Don't hurt yourself. But true no pressure on the paint.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: