User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 24

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm a beleiver Clay bar and Rubbing compond
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snittykitty
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem; I just didn't want people buying something based on my recommendation. I mean, bc my opinion has a lot of sway winking

Are those the The TOS in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
"Snitty cracks a mean whip!!" ~bluegoose 10/12/07
cheftank
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snittykitty wrote:
No problem; I just didn't want people buying something based on my recommendation. I mean, bc my opinion has a lot of sway winking

*threadjack*

Your name should be Ninja Kitty, you sneak around the forum without your name listed on the "who online" (becuase your stealth) and use your Kung Fu to keep us straight!

*/Threadjack*

Josh

LiquidPT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Rabbit wrote:
Sorry Kitty

I should have looked more closely at who posted that Glass Polish article, but it is great stuff.

I still stand by my assumption that Groit's Clay Bar will outlast and outperform some of the others that I have tried.

I don't know how that works, except if it's larger... The clay doesn't "wear out". It picks up the dirt off the surface of your car, so it's totally dependent on that...

Unless the clay does work as well and picks up less stuff... then it would last longer...

My PT Cruiser is gone, but we've still got 1 out of 4 left!
Now driving a Mysterious (black) 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe (#100/1152) and a 1991 Jeep Cherokee

snittykitty: If you can't handle being corrected, don't be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to jump all over White Rabbit here, but just so you all know - there is only one source for automotive clay. We all get it from the same place and pay a royalty to them for it. We can all specify size, color, abrasiveness, etc, but it all comes from the same place. Most consumer clay is very similar as far as how abrasive it is, but there are professional grades on the market as well. Meguiar's has two clay products in the pro line, one of which is so abrasive that it will actually haze paint and should only be used when you fully intend to machine polish after use. It's also designed for use on heavily contaminated paint, and is total overkill for the average consumer.

And, yes, I did use the term "abrasive" when describing clay. Clay doesn't "pick off" contaminants, it abrades them down and collects the particulates. That's why you use a lubricant with clay. Also, why I can't say this with 100% certainty, it sure makes sense: Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar was TW's attempt at coming up with an alternative to traditional clay in order to avoid paying royalties to that single clay source.

White Rabbit
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken guys. Each of us have had numerous years cleaning automobles, and each of us has a favorite brand. I normally do not believe everything I read, so I tried the Groit's Garage products which supposedly are used by LeMay Auto Collection and on Concourse Automobles costing many thousands of dollars more than our beloved PT Cruisers. I have found that they perform better than most, and was just answering Chrysler 1924s inquiry as to what each of us use.
I noticed that some of you were at PTs Take Flight. I just wish in the future we could be given name tags with our Log IN Names so we could find each other at the shows and chat in person.

Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Rabbit wrote:
No offense taken guys. Each of us have had numerous years cleaning automobles, and each of us has a favorite brand. I normally do not believe everything I read, so I tried the Groit's Garage products which supposedly are used by LeMay Auto Collection and on Concourse Automobles costing many thousands of dollars more than our beloved PT Cruisers. I have found that they perform better than most, and was just answering Chrysler 1924s inquiry as to what each of us use.
I noticed that some of you were at PTs Take Flight. I just wish in the future we could be given name tags with our Log IN Names so we could find each other at the shows and chat in person.
Seems everybody is claiming their products are being used "by professionals" or with some museum, collection, etc. Funny thing is, which products you use is actually less important than how you use them. If you take a 5 year old car that's been sitting outside its whole life, never waxed or clayed, and only washed a few times a year, it's going to need some serious help. But guess which process will make it look better -

A) wash with dish soap, use the Turtle Wax liquid clay bar, Scratch Doctor scratch remover as a paint cleaner, then the inexpensive Meguiar's cleaner wax

or

B) wash with a high end car wash shampoo and then hand apply (and by hand apply I mean literally with your bare hands, as instructed) two coats of Zymol Royale Glaze which, incidentally, costs well over $8,000 per jar. Yes, that's 8 thousand dollars!!

Uh-huh, the el-cheapo product mix will do a far better job restoring the finish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: