User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 25

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm a beleiver Clay bar and Rubbing compond
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptcreeper
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: I'm a beleiver Clay bar and Rubbing compond Reply with quote

Ok I had my doubts about clay bar for years. SO I finaly went out and bought a kidt from Mothers best $25 I ever sent I used it on my daily driver what I took off was insane allot of grime came off of the car. It came with Carnuba wax put it on and the car cam out good.

That would have made my day but i thought I'd try turtle wax's rubbing compond for scratch removal. I had 3 massive scraches as the moron that loaded a carpet I bought for the creepers disply just shoved it in the car. Its a paste and worked well I used a clean re-usable shop towel as I need a bit of rough towel to take the scratches down. Took me 45min and 5 towels. I finished with Nu Finish scratch polish as it is not as abrasive as the scratch remover. Hit it with the wax. Then a high end show glaze wiped it off and polished with a buffer not a bad way to spend a good friday. Sorry no pics yet.

The rubbing compound worked so well I'm going to take it to the creepre next week. Very Happy
QuicksilverDon
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've never believed what clay bar could do - never even heard of it until I heard of it on a PT Forum.
I find it takes out minor scratches as well as crud.

Silver '05 Limited, Turbo, Auto, sunroof, ABS, Spoiler, E&G Classic Grill, K&N FIPK, BTG Duals, Rear lowered 1.5", $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, LED washer Lights, Sunroof deflector, window deflectors, Alteeza Gen 3 taillights, 7/8" rear sway bar, hood struts, strut bar.
Had '02 Silver T.E. Traded in w/87,000 miles.
Chrysler1924
PTcrewbie
PTcrewbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best clay bar product out there in your opinion??? Anyone care to list all the products they used when clay-bar-ing their PT from start to finish?
OurPTGT
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious? RUBBING COMPOUND? On the PTCreepr I saw at CTF? I thought that stuff went out of use with leaded gas? Pretty harsh stuff for todays clearcoats I think. MIO will clear up any misconceptions i have though winking
Take it away Mike Cool
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrysler1924 wrote:
What is the best clay bar product out there in your opinion??? Anyone care to list all the products they used when clay-bar-ing their PT from start to finish?
The major players (Meguiar's, Mother's, Clay Magic) all provide everything you need to clay a car, which is basically just a clay bar, quick detail spray as a lubricant, and a microfiber towel to wipe the residual lube off the paint. That's really all there is to it. Keep in mind that clay only acts on above surface bonded contaminants, so it won't get rid of swirls or other problems below the surface.

OurPTGT wrote:
Are you serious? RUBBING COMPOUND? On the PTCreepr I saw at CTF? I thought that stuff went out of use with leaded gas? Pretty harsh stuff for todays clearcoats I think. MIO will clear up any misconceptions i have though winking
Take it away Mike Cool

He may be using the term "rubbing compound" generically, lots of people do.

An old school rubbing compound, when worked by hand, is not a great thing on a modern clear coat finish. There are some that are just fine though so it really depends on what you use. But that means you need to know WHAT you're using before you use it.

By the way, what product did you actually use Ptcreeper?

Ptcreeper
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-in-Orange wrote:
Chrysler1924 wrote:
The major players (Meguiar's, Mother's, Clay Magic) all provide everything you need to clay a car, which is basically just a clay bar, quick detail spray as a lubricant, and a microfiber towel to wipe the residual lube off the paint. That's really all there is to it. Keep in mind that clay only acts on above surface bonded contaminants, so it won't get rid of swirls or other problems below the surface.

OurPTGT wrote:
Take it away Mike Cool

He may be using the term "rubbing compound" generically, lots of people do.

An old school rubbing compound, when worked by hand, is not a great thing on a modern clear coat finish. There are some that are just fine though so it really depends on what you use. But that means you need to know WHAT you're using before you use it.

By the way, what product did you actually use Ptcreeper?

I forget the exact name but it was turtle waxes scratch remover it said rubbing compound but it was not a sever abrasive. My Optra was bad and it was an older product. The creeper has micro scratches I talked to my brother I have Meguiers 2.0 Polish. If that dose not work I will use the compond it has some abrasives in it but its not like I'm taking wet sand paper. to my car. And the creeper's body work is expensive so I needed a test vehicle lol.
White Rabbit
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to try Griot's Garage Products. Their Clay Bar lasts and lasts. I used one from 2005 up until this year and just replaced it. Take a look at their site:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/

This is their Paint Cleaning Clay

PS: I am not affiliated with Griot's Garage what so ever, just LOVE their products. So does Snitty Kitty. See her post on Groit's Glass Polish link below.

http://www.ptcrew.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4567

Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Rabbit wrote:
You guys need to try Griot's Garage Products. Their Clay Bar lasts and lasts. I used one from 2005 up until this year and just replaced it. Take a look at their site:

How long a clay bar lasts is totally dependent on how much gunk you're pulling off the surface. Bosch, LiquidPT and I used something like 3 full bars of clay on Bosch's mom's truck a few years ago. I think we spent close to two hours claying that thing - yeah, that works out to 6 man hours just to clay the damn thing! This is the only vehicle I've ever worked on that took longer to clay than it did to machine polish.
snittykitty
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Rabbit wrote:

PS: I am not affiliated with Griot's Garage what so ever, just LOVE their products. So does Snitty Kitty. See her post on Groit's Glass Polish link below.

I've never used Griot's and have never said I liked it; that post was authored by Rolo. I use Meguiar's.

Are those the The TOS in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
"Snitty cracks a mean whip!!" ~bluegoose 10/12/07
captaincog
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snittykitty wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:

I've never used Griot's and have never said I liked it; that post was authored by Rolo. I use Meguiar's.

Oh...smack!
Shocked

happy

2 PTs, one 05 GT aka Tribal and the 03 Woody.
Mike-in-Orange
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snittykitty wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:

Smart lady. Me likey. Very Happy

Bosch
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-in-Orange wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:

How long a clay bar lasts is totally dependent on how much gunk you're pulling off the surface. Bosch, LiquidPT and I used something like 3 full bars of clay on Bosch's mom's truck a few years ago. I think we spent close to two hours claying that thing - yeah, that works out to 6 man hours just to clay the damn thing! This is the only vehicle I've ever worked on that took longer to clay than it did to machine polish.

Yep there are some nasty clay bar pics you have when we did EVL too.. I remember taking a few pics. That car ate up the clay too.. Hell any car will eat up clay bar when parked outside with no garage/carport/cover left alone exposed to the elements.. Poor thing..

snittykitty
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-in-Orange wrote:

Smart lady. Me likey. Very Happy

That's got to be worth some swag, right? Right? winking

Are those the The TOS in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?
"Snitty cracks a mean whip!!" ~bluegoose 10/12/07
soonercruiser
Donor
Donor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have swirls, like I do on the black vert.... Once clay barred, you will use (by hand or buffer) a Meguire's Swirl Remover;...
...and then go through the Meguire's 1, 2, 3 steps before poly sealant and wax! That's for Meguire's products best results.
Others have simply used a swirl remover, then poly sealant, then wax.
I believe that most swirl removers are an equivalent to about the Meguires #2.
White Rabbit
PTcrewnie
PTcrewnie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Kitty

I should have looked more closely at who posted that Glass Polish article, but it is great stuff.

I still stand by my assumption that Groit's Clay Bar will outlast and outperform some of the others that I have tried.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ptcrew Forum Index -> Clean Up, Aisle 5! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: