User
Username:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User

Who's Online 
Guest Users: 13

ptcrew store 
Support This Site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to paint headlight surrounds

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ptcrew Forum Index -> The Mod Bible
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMW
PTcrewser
PTcrewser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: How to paint headlight surrounds Reply with quote

I kept my stock oem headlights from when I traded in the PT, and I finally got around to painting the surrounds black.

This is a "how to" on what is involved in doing this.

1. Preheat oven to 250* F. Place one headlight in the oven for 10 minutes. This loosens up the glue so that you can separate the front lens from the rest of the headlight.

2. Remove headlight with gloves and use a flathead screwdriver to separate the front part of the headlight from the housing.

3. Place second headlight in oven and repeat.

It will come apart into 3 pieces. The middle seciton is the part that you will be painting.

4. Use sandpaper to rough up the area to paint. Tape the shiny turn signal area off so that it stays chrome.

5. Apply primer and allow to dry for about 20 minutes.

6. Apply whichever topcoat color you like. I chose black.

7. Allow to dry for a few hours and then remove the tape. I used the blue painters tape that is suppose to be easy to remove. The plastic chrome is pretty delicate, and it removed a little bit of the top layer of chrome. It's not really noticeable unless you look direclty into the headlight close up.

8. Place all of the pieces back together, and place back into the oven at 250* for ten minutes again. Once you remove it begin pushing everything back into its place. Let it sit for awhile ane make sure that the glue hardened and everything is solid again.

Here is the result. As you can see, the spot where the tape removed some of the chrome isn't really noticeable.

'04 Autostick GT 14.52 @ 95 | 214/315 whp/tq (traded in on the above SRT in October '08 )
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ptcrew Forum Index -> The Mod Bible All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: